August is Read a Romance Month- Are You in the Mood?
Aug 3, 2016
The weather outside is steamy, and it’s about to get even steamier between the covers of my next read. I’m trying a romance. I’ve never read a romance novel. Of course I’ve read books with romance in them- books with love, sex, relationships, and even the occasional love triangle. But this month is “Read a Romance Month,” and I’m going to take that challenge.
There are a few reasons I’m going to try a romance this month.
- Romance is an incredibly popular genre. Many of us have a knee-jerk aversion to romance novels, but romance is one of the most popular genres. For every nay-sayer, there is a flock of fans. Romance writing is a billion-dollar industry.
- Many romance writers are women. Female writers have historically had a much harder time getting published, and I believe in supporting writers. Romance is often written by, for, and about women.
- There are as many types of romance novels as there are genres of writing. There are paranormal romances, science fiction, fantasy, western, historical, contemporary, urban, LGBTQ, and more. There is a romance for every reader.
- I like seeing relationships develop over the course of a story arc. Stories are more interesting when relationships between characters change and develop over time. All action with static characters makes for a dull book.
- Romances often end happily, and that can be a nice break from the real world. It may also be a nice break from my usual recreational reading fodder, which slants heavily to science fiction and dystopian.
Wish me luck!